Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I'm home

My life is officially a freak show this week. However, not only do I have a brain, it appears to be normal.

I haven't read the responses to Hubby's posts yet, but I see there are quite a few -- thanks to you all for your support.

Monday morning, I woke up at 4:30 and threw up. Cleaned myself up, and went back to bed. Woke up at 6:30 and vomited again.

And again.

And again, for somewhere between 7 and 9 times total. All this by about 8:30 in the morning. So I had Galen call the gynecologist, and their first reaction was to see if I improved. Then he called our regular doctor, and they insisted on seeing me, since I was scheduled for surgery the next day. I was not thrilled; I had been vomiting so hard that all the muscles in my upper body were spasming, my pain level was a 10+ and I had fever aches on top of the bloody spasms. I was a miserable puppy. So Galen took me to the doctor, barf bowl in hand. I saw the doctor, she suggested I wait a week for the surgery. Galen called the gyn and let them know we had to postpone. I asked for something for nausea and pain. She gave me a shot of phenergan for the nausea, and Toradol, a strong anti-inflammatory, for the pain. She told me to push fluids to avoid dehydration. I begged for a nausea scrip, and she agreed to write one for 20 phenergan pills, though she thought I'd be feeling better by the evening. She wasn't quite right.

I did take another nausea pill a couple of hours later, along with a percocet to stave off the pain. I was still groaning in pain and flopping about like a fish, not able to get comfortable. I stopped throwing up, but was still very nauseated and in a lot of pain.

Around 4:30, I was sitting on the bed, and reached for the ginger ale I was trying to get down. Before I reached it, my hand started to shake, and my arm flew up in the air of its own accord. I said to Galen "I don't know what's going on!" and he said "Besides scaring the hell out of me?" Then the other arm joined in, and I fell backward on the bed, with my entire upper body shaking. I heard Galen say, "I think you're having a seizure!" I agreed, but couldn't speak. The episode lasted a minute, maybe a minute and a half. When I stopped shaking, I was gasping for breath, and could really only blurt out single syllables. By this time Galen had called 911.

I don't think I moved much till the paramedics got there -- I hadn't been dressed, so they got a t-shirt on me, and because our house is tiny and full of stuff, I had to walk from the back room to the gurney. When I opened my eyes, I couldn't make sense out of what I was seeing, and I was very weak and shaky. I was propped up by two paramedics and made it to the gurney. The ride to the hospital was slow because the roads and traffic were both bad. Ice will do that.

At the ER, they had a hell of a time getting an IV into me, because I was dehydrated, and apparently I no longer have good veins. I guess they've been stabbed so much that they hide now. Once they were able to get an IV in, they gave me Zofran and Dilaudid; the first dose of Dilaudid took the barest of the edge off the pain. The Zofran did help the nausea. Eventually they gave me more Dilaudid and the pain finally eased up.

And while I was still in the ER, Galen's sister called to tell him that his mother is in rough shape, with congestive heart failure, edema, and some kind of UTI, either kidney or bladder. She is not completely coherent. She's not in a hospital; she's in a long term care facility and apparently they manage all that there.

They ran lots of blood tests, told me my white blood cell count was up, and ran me through X-ray and a CAT Scan. At this time, I was still too weak to stand, which made the testing interesting, at least. They also put in a catheter.

I was admitted to the hospital at about midnight. Due to the "seizure-like activity," they wanted me on telemetry. From the next day and a half, that damned box beeped at me constantly. (Today the nurse switched the box, and I got blissful silence for the last day of my visit.) In the morning of Tuesday, I did need another dose of Zofran. During the day Tuesday (yesterday), I had an MRI of my brain, and late in the day, an EEG. I also was moving far better that day, and the catheter was causing me pain like a UTI, so I convinced them it was time to pull the catheter. I had some urgency for a while afterward, but it calmed down, and by this time I was able to go to the bathroom by myself, which I much prefer.

The supervising physician told me there was evidence on the MRI they took of my brain that I might have had a seizure, but nothing conclusive.

My clinic is right next door to the hospital. My doctor is actually a resident, and yesterday and today, one of the supervising doctors and one of the senior residents came in to see me at least once each day I was in the hospital, which I appreciated. My doctor didn't hear till today; I think she was out of the office yesterday.

By this morning, I was feeling well enough to want to leave. I had to wait for the neurologist, though. So I waited. However, the neuro didn't show up till 4:30 this afternoon. He talked to me, told me my EEG was normal, did a few tests, and concluded it had happened because I was sick. So I asked to go home, he said he didn't have a problem with it, and then went to chat with my attending doctor. It took a couple of hours, but Galen got there to pick me up about the same time the discharge papers got here.

So I'm home, and glad to be. Galen is drunk. I think that might actually help in the long run, he does not get drunk very often at all. I go to see my doctor on Friday for followup.

The Gothling has had a rough week. She was worried about me because I was throwing up before the surgery; the school called while we were at the doctor's and we passed on at that time that the surgery was being postponed. So she came home in a fairly good mood after being upset, fixed herself some food, and was hanging out in the living room when suddenly her dad announced that the paramedics were on their way because I'd had a seizure. She was pretty scared and worried about me. She also had a friend melt down Monday. Unfortunately, her choice was to push limits while all the adults were out of the house, causing major changes in house rules this week as well. And she found out her grandmother is most likely dying. So she is fairly traumatized, though very glad to have me home now.

Oh, and to those of you I follow, let me know what I need to catch up on, please. I'll catch up on a couple of you who are in rough straits right now, but it there is anything monumental. I'd like a pointer to it.

Unlocked for Hubby to point to.


( 40 comments — Leave a comment )
Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
Dec. 18th, 2008 04:42 am (UTC)
Well darlin', you certainly don't do things half-assed, do you?


I am so very glad you are ok. I have not checked in on LJ in a while (obviously) so thank you for hitting me in Twitter about this! DEAR GODS!

Hugs to all of you.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:55 am (UTC)
I've never been one for small measures, it's true. :^D

Even when I was in the ER, I was thinking "I don't think this was what I wished for, Arwen!" Hee. So I'll hold the wish for the surgery next month.
(no subject) - stephanielynch - Dec. 18th, 2008 01:50 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - teal_cuttlefish - Dec. 18th, 2008 10:56 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - stephanielynch - Dec. 19th, 2008 04:13 am (UTC) - Expand
Dec. 18th, 2008 04:59 am (UTC)
I'm so glad you are home! Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do for you and yours.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:57 am (UTC)
Thank you, I appreciate it. I think what the family needs right now more than anything is some peace and calm, and I'm going to work towards that. The Gothling is giving up on the last day of school to stay home with me, and I think that's all to the good right now, so I agreed to it.

What a bloody week.
(no subject) - teal_cuttlefish - Dec. 18th, 2008 07:15 pm (UTC) - Expand
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:04 am (UTC)

So glad you're okay.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:58 am (UTC)
Thank you. I could feel support from all over the country, and I appreciate it deeply. With this group pulling for me, I should get through the surgery when it's finally time with flying colors.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:27 am (UTC)
Well, it does seem as though you've got your wits properly lined up and in marching formation. That seizure must have been a frightening experience! I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Do you like cranberry juice? As it makes urine more acidic, it's a good idea after catheterization. Be on the lookout for burning urination. If this goes on for more than a day, tell your doctors.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:59 am (UTC)
The burning only lasted a couple of hours; I'm back to normal. Having the thing in got pretty painful before I talked them into removing it, though. It didn't help that the bag was tugged during the MRI. Ouch.

When my stomach is somewhat more normal, I'll start some cranberry; it sure can't hurt.
Dec. 18th, 2008 05:42 am (UTC)
I'm glad you are home and doing okay. You are blessed to have such a warm supportive family. I hope the news of Galen's mother is just as good.
Dec. 18th, 2008 06:00 am (UTC)
I do have a wonderful family, and I am blessed to have them in my life. Even if we are definitely a mutated nuclear family, we function well together.
Dec. 18th, 2008 06:04 am (UTC)
Good to see you back at the keyboard. I will pass the message along to the rest of the non LJ using Greenfieldians. *hugs* If there is anything we can do for any of your family let us know.
Dec. 18th, 2008 06:15 am (UTC)
Thank you. Just keep us in your thoughts; I'll have to have the surgery in about a month now. It would be nice if I could actually get the surgery done with so I can heal and be done with the issues requiring the hysterectomy.
Dec. 18th, 2008 08:03 am (UTC)
*huge hug* Glad your home!!!! I don't know if you have my phone number or not anymore, will send it in a private email to you. Reiki still coming your way

Dec. 18th, 2008 09:31 am (UTC)
You know, I don't think I ever had your phone number. Shoot it over, please. I have Sprint, so if you do as well we can talk anytime; if not, I can talk any time after 7 or on weekends to anywhere in the 48 contiguous states.
(no subject) - jullia_starz - Dec. 18th, 2008 01:18 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - teal_cuttlefish - Dec. 18th, 2008 07:17 pm (UTC) - Expand
Dec. 18th, 2008 08:16 am (UTC)
Gothling mathematics?
On a completely subconscious level, I suspect that Gothling may have worked out that if she raised hell at home, you'd have to get well and come home to deliver an unscheduled lecture. Heal!

Without knowing or needing to know any of the details, it seems that she managed to prove within a few hours' time that you and G together are a) immortal b) heroic and c) completely indispensable.

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming.

(I do not miss being a parent of teenagers)
Dec. 18th, 2008 09:33 am (UTC)
Re: Gothling mathematics?
That's a very interesting theory. I've forwarded it to Galen for his perusal as well.

Now to find out a solution for school. We're trying for a charter school; if that doesn't pan out it sounds like the local high school is more of a giant maw for chewing up and spitting out adolescents than a place of learning, so I have to find a better alternative out there somewhere.
Dec. 18th, 2008 08:31 am (UTC)
I'm so sorry you went through all this.

(Ali from Twitter)
Dec. 18th, 2008 08:59 am (UTC)
I figured out who you were before I read this, actually. Added you back.
(no subject) - alicrehanfeeney - Dec. 18th, 2008 01:50 pm (UTC) - Expand
Dec. 18th, 2008 10:36 am (UTC)
*hug* so glad you're ok (well, mostly)!
Dec. 18th, 2008 02:12 pm (UTC)
An ice storm left us without power (and LJ) for five days, so I haven't known what's been afoot until a post the other day that mentioned a seizure. Sending love and light to you....
Dec. 18th, 2008 07:25 pm (UTC)
Thank you, I always appreciate it. Glad to hear you have power and connectivity again. The past, oh, week, seems to have been a fast accumulation of minor catastrophes. I hope that as the days lengthen, the crises lessen.
Dec. 18th, 2008 02:45 pm (UTC)
You know I'm around for whatever you need. I'm glad you're back.
Dec. 18th, 2008 07:26 pm (UTC)
I know, and it's important to me. I didn't call you back much because I was literally too shaky to hold the phone and talk till sometime yesterday. I did call and leave a message on your cell Tuesday night to let you know I would survive -- didn't have enough oomph to try to call you on your land line as well.
Dec. 18th, 2008 04:46 pm (UTC)
Dec. 18th, 2008 07:27 pm (UTC)
A very succinct and complete response.
Dec. 18th, 2008 07:31 pm (UTC)
Hi, glad to hear your voice/"fist"*/keyboard!
Glad you're (relatively) okay.
We were all pretty worried for a while there.
Let's hope there are no recurrences.
* radio expression = someone's recognizable morse code sending style
Dec. 18th, 2008 11:27 pm (UTC)
I like the term "fist." It makes sense in the Morse code lingo, too.

I'm surviving. Hope your holidays are relatively unstressed even with the maternal units being difficult.

And thanks for the lack of heads up. :^D
Dec. 18th, 2008 07:32 pm (UTC)
PS: you've missed nothing of moment in _my_ LJ, so no need to catch up on it.
Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
( 40 comments — Leave a comment )